Training for a 3-Day Walk is, in many ways, similar to training for a marathon. While you’ll be walking, rather than running, you’ll also be covering a staggering 60 miles over three days, all in the name of breast cancer research and awareness.
Whether you’re a breast cancer survivor, love someone who is or have lost someone to this devastating disease, there are a variety of reasons why you may want to walk in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day.
If you’re determined to make that 60 mile walk for those who have battled breast cancer, these 36 blog entries can give you a bit of insight regarding preparation, training and “knowing what to expect“.
3-Day Walk Basics
Before you take off on a 60 mile trek that lasts for three days, you’ll probably want to know a bit more about the organization, the event and what it supports.
These six blog entries are filled with basic Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk information, from what the walk is to what it means to participants.
- What is the 3-Day?
- Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure
- Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure
- Komen 3-Day
- One Girl’s Life Changing Experience at the Susan G. Komen 3 Day Breast Cancer Walk
- Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk Nets $2.4 Mil for Cancer Research
Unless you’re a triathlete with a body of steel and laser-like focus, you’ll have to prepare your mind for the strain of walking for three days as well as your body.
These six blog entries are dedicated to mental preparation and emotional training for 3-Day Walkers or marathon runners, and can help you make sure you’re emotionally ready for such a strenuous undertaking.
- Ask the Experts: Mental Training
- Developing Mental Plan for Marathon is Vital
- Know Thyself: Mental Training With Paige Dunn
- 4 Ways to Get Mentally Prepared for a Marathon
- Mental Stamina for Athletes
- The Next 26.2 Miles: How to Avoid the Post-Marathon Blues
Strength and Conditioning
Even athletic, physically fit women will need to adjust their training regimen a bit to prepare their bodies for the 3-Day Walk. These six entries are mostly directed at marathon runners, but offer valuable training hints, tips and information that will also come in handy for 3-Day Walkers.
- Strength Training for Runners
- The Effectiveness of Strength Training for Runners – The Latest Research
- So You’re Running a Marathon
- The Four Best Strength Training Exercises For Runners
- How to Train for a Marathon for Beginners
- 10 Training Tips to Walk the Breast Cancer 3-Day
Food is Fuel
Eating is as much a part of your training for a marathon or the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk as your brand-new exercise and physical training routine. The nutritional and dietary information contained in these six blog entries can help you make the most of your meals, and to view food as the fuel it’s intended to be.
- Marathon Training Diet & Nutrition
- Marathon Nutrition – Nutritional Tips for Running Your Best Marathon
- Marathon Nutrition Mission: 10 Great Training Foods for Runners
- Joy’s Top Nutrition Tips for Marathon Runners
- Nutrition Tips for Marathon Runners [Expert Advice]
When you first sign up for the 3-Day Walk and begin collecting pledges, you’ll probably be filled to the brim with enthusiasm. As the date nears and you begin to tire of the strenuous training and dietary constraints, however, it’s easy to lose sight of why you’re actually walking. These six blogs can serve as a support system, source of motivation and a reminder for why you’re taking the long walk for breast cancer research.
- Training and Motivation
- Same Path – Same Goal – In It to End It
- Debra Adams: Motivation of a 3-Day Mom
- Is It Really Ever That Bad?
- 3-Day Tweeps!
What to Expect
Unless you’ve participated in a 3-Day event before, it’s hard to know what you should expect in advance. From packing checklists to personal narratives about others’ 3-Day Walk experiences, these six blogs can help you begin to understand what you should expect from the experience, and what you’ll need along the way.
- Packing Checklist
- Training Gear & Equipment: Everything You Need for a Multi-Day Charity Walk Like the Susan G. Komen 3-Day
- What to Pack for The 3-Day Walk
- My Top 10 Tips for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure
- Training For A Walking Event Like The Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk
- How to Pack for the 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk
CANADA – SEPT 7 – 8
Week-end to End Women’s Breast Cancer
ENDCANCER.CA – SHOPPERS DRUG MART RUN
REGISTER TODAY – HERE